Many of our pets suffer every year with the ever increasing amounts of fireworks that go off each November.   There are many ways that you can help your pet cope with the endless flashes, bangs and wizzes....

Simple measures like keeping them indoors, shutting cat flaps and curtains and leaving the radio on can help your pet.   Equally there are other hazards that can be dangerous to pets, some are listed below.

Firstly make sure your pets are in the house by dusk & that all curtains are closed. Provide a continuous noise, e.g. switch on the radio or television (avoid any firework coverage!), as quite often if your pet can't see the flashes and the bangs are muffled they are less likely to become anxious/ excitable.

Make sure they have a safe haven within the house to take themselves off to, a dog crate or some kind of enclosed area is ideal for this and put a large blanket over it as this is comforting and can help muffle the sounds.

Resist the temptation to fuss over them – this can reinforce your pet’s behaviour and make their reaction worse and more exaggerated over time.  Act normally, treat them as you usually would and distract them from the anxiety.

Products There are many products on the market that claim to solve firework anxiety; these include natural products that are given by mouth, pheromone plug-ins, collars & sprays. We try to avoid treatment with sedatives wherever possible as they do not improve the pet's anxiety but sedate the pet only. Ideally choosing a natural product with veterinary advice will help to reduce/eliminate the anxiety.  Some preparations need to be given daily in advance of the anticipated event, so veterinary advice is important.

All different types of animals can of course be affected by fireworks. 
Think of other pets, (e.g. chickens and small mammal pets such as guinea pigs and rabbits) at this time of year and where possible bring them into a garage or shed as they also find loud noises terrifying.  Horses can also be effected and owners need to consider their welfare during this time.   Even farm animals can be frightened by fireworks - please use all fireworks safely, think about where you are letting fireworks off and who and what might be affected.

Remember wildlife Always check beneath bonfires/incinerators before lighting them.  If it's possible, move the pile before lighting it.  If not use broom handles to lift from the base of the pile and shine torches while looking and listening carefully for any signs of life.   This may have become a cosy retreat for a very tired hedgehog who is thinking of hibernating.  

If you have the opportunity to start from scratch with a brand new pup or kitten, then  make sure you safely expose them to a variety of sights and sounds from a very early age.   This way it is more likely your pet will be able to cope with a whole manner of experiences throughout their life, including fireworks.  

If your pet does suffer don’t feel as you are alone, we know how stressful it can be for you both!   Contact us on 01376 325511 for further advice.

Read on for the RSPCA's pet owner advice during the fireworks season...

Advice for pet owners during the fireworks season © RSPCA

Glow Sticks are also a concern for your pet.   These tubes are made of pliable soft plastic and are easily chewed by a playful pet.  The liquid chemical that produce the glow in the dark effect can be irritant to pets even though they are low in toxicity.   And here' the science bit: The main component of this oily liquid is dibutyl phthalate.  It has a highly unpleasant taste and even a small amount in a cat or dog's mouth will cause immediate hypersalivation, frothing and foaming, along with possible hyperactivity and aggressive behaviour.  The liquid can also cause irritation to the skin and eyes. If you suspect your pet has come into contact with the glow stick chemical please ring us for advice - they will need oral fluids and irrigation of the areas the chemical has come into contact with.  If this includes their eyes, we will need to check that no ulcer has formed on the surface of the eye, which left untreated can be very painful.  Contact with the skin would also require irritation and in some cases treatment with a steroid cream - seeking advice quickly is essential.

Fireworks can contain a wide variety of different chemicals and not surprisingly if a pet comes into contact with a firework, in particular chewing and ingesting it, it is likely that a gastrointestinal upset will follow.  Fireworks can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal discomfort and ataxia.  Some of the ingredients of the firework including arsenic, can lead to a serious toxicity.  Again contact us as soon as you know your pet has been in contact and we will advice you.

Further information - RSPCA:

The RSPCA as a charity will, by all lawful means, prevent cruelty, promote kindness to and alleviate suffering of all animals.  It receives no government funding and its work can only continue through donations and volunteering by members of the public.   If you would like to know more about getting involved, click here.

Further information - more on fireworks and your pets:

Fireworks and Pets - Blue Cross click here
How to prepare your pets for Guy Fawkes night - Petplan click here Fireworks frighten animals
RSPCA Advice

Homepage  •   Contact   •   Sitemap

© Millennium Veterinary Practice, Braintree, Essex.    Tel: 01376 325511   Fax: 01376 528021  Email:

Website by: