Puppy dies from nicotine overdose, e-cigarette warning

  Back

06/03/2014
We are joining the rest of our profession in highlighting the danger of e-cigarettes to pets. This follows the death of a puppy in Cornwall after she was poisoned. Ivy had chewed through her owners e-cigarette and ingested the nicotine liquid.
The puppy's vet tried to save a 14 week old terrier that had bitten into a capsule from an electronic cigarette.   The little puppy, named Ivy, started frothing at the mouth and vomiting after consuming the liquid.   Despite prompt treatment the puppy died.

This very upsetting case shows how important it is to keep potentially dangerous products away from animals.

The Veterinary Poisons Information Services gave this recent statement:
'Exposure to nicotine-containing products (tobacco, nicotine replacement gums and patches, agricultural pesticides and e-cigarettes or ENDS) is potentially hazardous.'

For further information on this e.cigarette case and advise on poisonings round the home visit the Dogs Trust poisoning information page.




Homepage  •   Contact   •   Sitemap

© Millennium Veterinary Practice, Braintree, Essex.    Tel: 01376 325511   Fax: 01376 528021  Email: admin@millenniumvets.co.uk

Website by: