Poisoning usually results from cat’s exposure to concentrated permethrin-containing flea spot-on products designed for use in dogs.   If not treated quickly the cat will collapse, experience seizures and die.   We are supporting the International Cat Care (ICC) Organization in their campaign to raise awareness and to have products containing permethrin re-classified. 

This has been prompted by our Head Nurse, Gary Rutland, after he was involved in the treatment of a kitten, which when presented to us was so ill that it died.   The ICC is calling for the products to be purchased only after proper guidance by a ‘suitably qualified person’ at the point of sale. This simple step could dramatically reduce the number of cats being poisoned and killed by permethrin, through provision of appropriate advice and warnings.   To ensure you are using the correct products specific to your pet for the treatment of fleas and worms please contact us.     For more information and to sign their petition visit: http://www.icatcare.org/permethrin/petition


  • Some parasitic preparations used in the treatment of rabbits contain permethrin.   If you are treating your rabbit for external parasites such as mites, check the label.   If you are treating your rabbit with this and have a cat, you must wash your hands and the surfaces you have used to apply it, e.g. kitchen table.   
  • Equally some dog preparations contain permethrin.   We recommend there is no contact, between the permethrin product being applied on the dog or rabbit, and any cats in the household for a full 72 hours.   This hasn't been formally tested but is the most up-to-date advice.
  • Some lower priced over the counter dog spot on treatments and environmental sprays sold in pet shops and supermarkets contain permethrin.   Although these are generally clearly labelled we have had a few cases of accidental treatment with these products with a traumatic outcome.