Travelling with your pet abroad requires some research. We advise you consider the health implications for your dog, the disease risks of the country you are travelling to, your pet insurance cover, finding a suitable local veterinary surgeon with your language needs and what is legally required before you travel.  Up-to-date disease risks can be checked here, click here.

Travelling in the EU:

Pet's travelling to Northern Ireland or the EU from the UK will need to be issued with an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) by one of our official vets: Robin Creighton, Rebekah Robinson or Louise Pickett.  An AHC is required within 10 days of travel.  Pets must have had a rabies vaccination at least 21 days before the date of their AHC consultation, (blood tests are no longer required), booster vaccinations are required every 3 years.

For outward travel the AHC is only valid for 10 days after the date of issue. For entry into the EU, they cannot be issued to you more than 10 days before you travel. Onward travel is permitted within the EU for 4 months after the date of issue as long as your pet’s rabies vaccine remains valid. You can re-enter the UK for 4 months after the date of issue.

Animals younger than 12 weeks of age are not permitted to be exported.

Certification requires 45 minute appointments with one of our 'LVI' approved vets.  Please bear this in mind when ringing to book an appointment.  For the full Animal Health Certificate details and what you need to do, click here.

Travelling outside the EU:

Please visit the official DEFRA website click here
Please contact your airline / travel company for details of their veterinary services.  Export health certificates will need to be completed by them.

Information Guide:

Click here for the RSPCA useful guide to taking your pet on holiday, click here.